Sunday, 30 January 2011

Giving myself a push

After G/W's gentle push at me (thank you G/W) to keep hoping and walking because good things are just around the corner, I have given myself a push and spent the last couple of hours ploughing through my eHarmony matches. I haven't made much of a dent in them and did at one point wish for an archive all function, or at least the chance to multi select a few matches and archive those. I was going to try to archive all matches older than a couple of months to give myself a manageable number to actually read properly, but I soon realised that would have taken me days so decided to just look through the newer matches and ignore the older ones.

I ended up archiving a fair few of the newer matches. Some sounded like interesting people but not interesting to me, some had such sparse profiles that there was no way to tell if I'd want to get to know them, one rattled on about "symbiotic relationships" which seemed a bit highbrow for an online dating profile and some were just plain odd. Once guy, in answer to the "list 3 things you are thankful for question" said this (and it was all in upper case):
FAIR RENUMARATION (his spelling error)
BEAUTY
HONESTY
Well I am thankful I am fairly paid but it seems an odd thing to put on a list like that. It is good that people are honest, but does he mean he is thankful that honesty exists, that he is honest, that others are honest?? And beauty - his? Women's? Another guy put "handsome" as one of his. One assumes he is thankful that he is handsome. He went straight onto the archived list...

I did send questions to a few guys who seemed interesting and appealed to me so we shall wait and see what happens. I will attempt to keep up with my matches this time and try not to get too disheartened when people don't reply. I will also attempt to post about progress or lack of so if I start sounding like giving up again please give me another push. There is nobody in real life who seems interested in me or who I have a spark with, so online dating seems to be the way to go at the moment.

4 comments:

Amanda @ Wild Oats said...

Good luck with giving online dating another shot!

jo said...

i had the same thoughts bout "beauty" too. whose beauty is he referring to? and i doubt it's the beauty of mother nature's scenery. but good that you're trying though i never fancied eharmony. those endless questions get annoying after a while. try match.com

G/W said...

I'm so happy you're getting back in the game.
As for the beauty question, I think he's talking about female beauty. I also think he doesn't know what he's talking about. Most guys have no idea what they mean when they say beauty. I've found that not only are there varying definitions of beauty between men, there's also varying definitions of beauty within men.
You wouldn't expect someone a man considers Nicole Kidman to be an ideal beauty to apply the same title to Jada Pinkett Smith... but it happens all the time.
When I hear "beauty" coming from men, I translate it to "reasonably attractive"... or even less, actually.

Katya said...

Thank you for the encouragement all. Jo - I suspect I will eventually get fed up with all the eharmony questions so may well give match.com a go if things aren't looking promising, instead of just giving up. G/W I like your thoughts about men's definitions of beauty and when I think about it you're probably right. They do find a pretty wide range of women "beautiful".